“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” - Desmond Tutu

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Te Tiriti – yet again. Yes, this is important.


This post was going to be called “racism and privilege at law school”. But since it ended up going in this direction, I have renamed it. I would still like to write about racism and privilege more generally at some point – keep your eyes out, it’ll happen one day.

I wrote 90% of this post over a month ago, and then got busy and completely forgot about it. Here it is! With some very minor alterations. And yes before you ask, this blog was never intended to be entirely about racial issues, and it is not going to be either. It’s just my thing at the moment. The next post may be on veganism. If you’re lucky. So if you don’t like it, too bad, suck it up, deal with it, don’t read it. If you do, go for it. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Oh and sorry its so long. Conciseness is not my forte. My apologies! But it will be worth it if you make it to the end, promise.

Ok, here we go. Firstly, the two events that sparked this.

In my crimes lecture some months ago now, a guy sitting in front of me spent almost the entire class looking at racist memes on facebook. I’m not going to go into any detail; suffice to say they were incredibly offensive. A whole page dedicated to them. And he was laughing. I spent the whole lecture completely unable to concentrate. By the end of it my stomach was churning and my body shaking. I even cried on the way home. I just couldn’t understand how someone could find such overt racism so funny.

Then, on the second to last day of class, a guy in public law began his contribution to the class discussion by giving a mihi. Except it wasn’t a mihi, it was (apparently) a karakia which he’d learnt when he was a kid. And had no idea what it meant, or when it would be appropriate. It was pretty obvious that he was taking the piss. Even more so when the class burst into laughter and applause. I was about to start clapping too, just cos everyone else was and I didn’t think – until I suddenly clicked what had happened and how offensive it was. I sincerely hope that most of the class was just following the crowd, and did not actually condone the behaviour.

I have already addressed ideas of collective responsibility and historical injustice. These in themselves are very powerful reasons to stand up to racism. We as Pakeha must take responsibility. This is not a “Māori issue”. But its also about a basic level of respect which surely we must all have for other humans, regardless of race, class, gender, whatever. Regardless of injustice, oppression, privilege and everything else, surely we as human beings have some degree of respect for others. Surely we all have some gut feeling that its wrong to appropriate other languages and cultures to take the piss. Right? Apparently not.

So, I emailed the lecturer expressing my outrage, and got a rather unsatisfying response. He said that, in accordance with the views of his Māori colleagues, he had addressed the issue with the student directly; and it was inappropriate and unnecessary to raise it in class. I still think he missed the point slightly, that it wasn’t about the individual student (however shocking this behaviour may have been); it was about the culture of tolerating, accepting and perpetuating racist behaviour, whether consciously or not; which I find incredibly problematic. And I did emphasise that in my email.

I felt incredibly vulnerable having stuck my neck out like this, and immediately after, all I could think was “what the hell am I talking about, who am I to be challenging racism when I know nothing about this issue. Surely these “Māori colleagues”, whoever they are, understand the situation much better than I do. My reaction was ignorant and emotional, and my suggestion to raise it to the whole class was completely inappropriate and I just shouldn’t have said anything. Aaaargh.”

I have been mulling this over for the last two weeks [edit: now more like two months], almost non-stop. Paralysed by indecisiveness, lack of confidence and fear, I kept feeling the need to do something, but had no idea what would be the appropriate action to take. I had an absolutely incredible conversation yesterday [about 6 weeks ago now], with two Pakeha women who I have a lot of respect for, and who really clarified several important things.

One: this is not a “Māori issue”. One of the options I had been thinking about was talking to one of the Māori lecturers (who I really admire) to try to understand why this “low-key approach” of only talking to the individual was more appropriate. I realise now that this would have been a terrible idea. Te Tiriti is a partnership between two races. Racism is not the problem of those who are oppressed. It is a problem that belongs to those who are racist. It is incredibly unfair to keep pushing the burden onto those who are oppressed to constantly fight their own battles. We need to fight alongside them, to uphold our side of the bargain; and to not always rely on them to do it for us.

Two: this is not about this particular lecturer, or even the particular class. I already knew it was not about the student. But I had been far more frustrated at the lecturer than was fair. It is not about blame. I still think he possibly could have handled the situation better, and now I know that my email to him was justified, but this is not the point. The problem is far more deeply ingrained than that; it is about how Te Tiriti is approached in general; how racism is dealt with in general; and how we as Pakeha need to learn to acknowledge and understand our privilege. These are all very difficult issues, and it was maybe naïve of me to expect this lecturer to respond favourable to my request. But something needs to happen at a much more fundamental level.

Three: Te Tiriti, as a whole, is also not a “Māori issue”. I thought I knew this, but I realised that I didn’t understand it as well as I should. I found myself talking about the Treaty module as a whole and how crappy it was; but reiterated what I have said to several people: that this lecturer has never taught it before, was doing his best, and that the usual Māori lecturer is probably much better. They were shocked. Why should a Māori lecturer have to teach the Treaty? Why should a Pakeha not be held to the same standard, in terms of understanding the issues and being able to teach it well? In fact, it should be taught by a Pakeha, for the reasons above: the obligations to uphold Te Tiriti do not rest with Māori alone.

Four: not in this particular conversation, but on the same day, Catherine Delahunty was talking about how the principles of the Treaty are just a bunch of crap invented by lawyers. I was amused, slightly shocked, and kinda surprised. Having just spent 4 weeks in public law learning about how great the principles are because they reconcile the differences between the texts, I was really surprised that she would so quickly dismiss them. It was only on reflection, and talking to a friend of mine, that I realised why this was. Once again, I was shocked at my own failure to see the obvious.

It is worth recalling that neither the Treaty, nor Te Tiriti, has any legal force. The principles do, in some, limited situations. They are: partnership and reciprocity, active protection, and redress. These are breached constantly by the Government, although the courts do their best to uphold them when they can. Of course, Māori would be much better off if these principles were taken seriously by their Treaty partner. But after being told how fantastic the principles were, I had completely missed the elephant in the room: nowhere in the principles is there any mention of te tino rangatirantaga – or Māori sovereignty, which is guaranteed by article 2 of Te Tiriti.

This is highly problematic, deliberate, and not surprising at all.  Despite the judiciary sometimes being alightly awesome, and upholding the Treaty a hell of a lot better than the government does, it still works within a colonial framework, so it recognises, and refuses to challenge, Parliamentary supremacy. The principles, the Waitangi Tribunal, and the Treaty court cases have actually had the effect of squeezing the full force of Māori resistance into a narrow colonial paradigm, giving them no real power at all.

I don’t know how to resolve this. I think it is a huge problem, and needs addressing, urgently. Moana Jackson, who is brilliant, distinguishes between constitutional reform (tinkering round the edges) and constitutional transformation. Obviously transformation is what we need; whether most Pakeha are ready for that is highly unlikely, given then levels of racism and lack of understanding referred to above.

Anyway, I digress. Well, not really, this is all interrelated, of course. The Treaty’s place in the legal system obviously informs how it is taught at law school, which in turn informs the issues of racism and privilege that inspired this post. As someone else said to me the other day, it’s an outrage, really, that the Treaty is a four week section of the public law course; rather than being an integral, underlying theme of the entire course. This is a clear reflection, I think, of how it is seen by most of society: a side issue, which must be addressed in a tokenistic fashion in order to be “PC”; something of historical interest, sure, but not something which should be a living, breathing part of our constitutional framework which informs everything we do.

I don’t know how to conclude this. I don’t have the answers. I don’t know what I’m going to do about this issue. The easy option, obviously, is to ignore it. But like most things which are easily ignored, the unfortunate reality is that this will not make it go away. The course is over, but like I said, the focus is not on the individual. It has been suggested to me that I talk to the course co-coordinator, to try to improve things for next year’s class. Maybe I will, but I have no idea what I would say.  Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I will continue to mull.

6 comments:

  1. this reminds me of a friend telling me that when she went into a job interview the inevitable question of 'what does the treaty mean to you' came up.

    momentarily confused, and possibly guilty to compensate for what she felt was her lack of knowledge in the treaty, she ventured forth with a simple answer of 'the understanding between co-habitation of races within one land'.

    the understanding of whanau, hapu and iwi can be understood as family, community and nation.

    we are all inextricably linked whatever the words we may use for our dynamics and relationships.

    in essence it is all about peaceful understanding of each other's rights and beliefs.

    however, this doesn't seem to be the simple message we are taught. rather than making the treaty's (today's understanding of it or the past) meaning tangible, school children, youth, employees are deluged and entangled in a bureaucratic and politically burdened understanding that diverts from the the essential outcome which further perpetrates our racist ways.

    we no longer need to see it in various articles, we no longer should need to hear loved politician's views on it;

    we must embrace what we already know.
    peace. empathy. community. and unity.

    its really that simple.
    and that universal.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Evelina Conley Mirbet (Cool name, by the way!). Why do you like to hide behind a thin veil of anonymity? You are awesome and everybody should know it. Anyway you know who I am, and I'll cut to the chase. Except I have no idea what to say- other than that was a brilliant blog post. You write like an acedemic...I actually felt like I was reading an acedemic essay (aside from the occassional colloquial interjections characteristic of your speech...) and even encountered a couple of words that I don't know haha! I liked your style of mixing fact with your own experience, and the whole post is ingrained with passion. I see you read that book on the treaty that you got out of the library while I was there? As for the actual subject of your post, well you know me I don't have much of an opinion. I do agree however that things to do with the treaty are often addressed with a tokenistic approach, wheras they need to be taught as a substantial part of school and university curriculum- I personally find the topic very interesting. Why should we be learning the history of other countries when we haven't explored our own indepth? While, as you know, I believe that racism goes both ways in this country- as in some areas the pendulum has swung too far (e.g. Maori get through to second year med on lower grades) and in other instances hasn't swung far enough ( major stereotyping and a culture of disrespect such as during the Mihi/ karakia etc.), I also think that truthful and meaningful explorations of the treaty by all sides would go a long way towards reducing racial tension. As for your constant thoughts about the events of the last few months- food reading this post and will try to check your blog more often. I hope you appreciate my opinions and feedback haha. for thought and wanting to change things is great, but don't let it get you down at any stage because you are not responsible for the imperfections of this society! (of course we all have a part to play though :) I really enjoyed this article and as you know I admire your passion and your dedication towards changing the world (which goes beyond any differing opinions we may have because I love you for who you are)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Comments! Thanks guys :D

    Rose I do agree with most of what you have said. I disagree with simplifying it, because I think it is inherently complicated, and simplifying anything risks cutting out the shades of detail which are essential to our understanding. But yes, the way it is taught is shocking - there was an interesting chapter on that in Healing Our History (which I have nearly finished, yay!) - about the education system, and the lack of understanding. About 80% or so of teaching trainees lacked some really basic knowledge.. and were expected to teach it. Lacklustre teaching leads to boredom, apathy and tokenism... which is all part of the lack of understanding. A cycle which is hard to break.

    I think we do need to see it in its various articles, they are different. Article one gives the crown the right to govern; article two protects Māori rangatiratanga (sovereignty) over land, taonga, etc; and article three confers the rights of British citizens. All three are constantly breached in various ways, by different laws, and I think their separation provides a useful and easy to grasp framework for this analysis.

    As for "loved politicians" I can hear the sarcasm in your typing, but as you know there are plenty of politicians who are really committed to upholding te tiriti, like Catherine and Jan. Yes other politicians (most of them) would rather ignore the treaty and hope it goes away. But surely, politicians are amongst those to who we look for leadership? The should be an important part of the ongoing discussion which needs to happen on these issues?

    I agree, peace, empathy community and unity would get us a long way. But those concepts are hollow unless we engage deeply with the empirical facts of what has happened, and commit to upholding our side of the bargain. Yes these facts are uncomfortable and difficult for Pakeha to confront. But as Dayle Takitimu said at Powershift (in a slightly different but still relevant context); that brief discomfort is nothing compared to the 130 years of colonisation that Māori have suffered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie! Your anonymity is even more thinly veiled than mine, thanks to your profile pic! Hahaha. Yes I did read that book, most of it at least. I still have one chapter to go. I also started reading another book (I didn't want to take only one chapter's worth away with me, but also didn't want to take two books) which is even better - its about Māori fighting neoliberalism, two topics which I am passionate about but had never thought about in combination. The first chapter blew my mind - so watch this space!

    Anyway thank you for your lovely comments. I appreciate so much that you have taken the time to read this and to provide feedback! You are amazing. To respond: I don't think it counts as racism when the victims are white. We had a really interesting discussion about this at an anti-oppresion workshop at Powershift. You'll be pleased to know, most people disagreed with me. But I think its only racism when the target is a group which is marginalised and oppressed. It is not offensive if someone treats me unfairly due to being white, because this is not part of an institutionalised pattern which I have to deal with on a daily basis. Same goes for sexism, of course, although apparently that is controversial too.

    Anyway in any case, the quotas for Māori medical and law students aren't examples of racism against Pakeha; rather, they are an attempt to undo the effects of racism towards Māori. I don't think they are particularly great, because they often don't achieve their goal, and the Māori students end up more stigmatised and with feelings of inferiority than they would be if they didn't have the quota. I think there's better things they could do, for example, extra tutorials, mentoring, etc for Māori students; and compulsory Treaty education for lecturers (which would hopefully be passed on to students) so that Māori students wouldn't have to deal with being in such a horrible racist environment.

    I know I am not responsible for the imperfections of society (but thanks for the reminder); but I AM responsible for doing what I can in my own life to challenge these imperfections. Which is what I am striving to do. :)

    Love you too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was too tired to attend a refugee session so thought I'd use the time to read this instead.

    I love your point about this not being a Maori issue. I recall you talking to me about how Carwyn is Maori therefore would probably be more engaged with the issues - and I accepted that. Thinking about it now, however, handing over all Te Tiriti content to Maori lecturers is a wasted opportunity. If Pakeha lecturers were to really engage with this content, Pakeha law students could begin to grapple with the part we play in perpetuating racism. Certainly in Carwyn's Te Tiriti course, it would be amazing to have a Pakeha lecturer take part of the course. Since Te Tiriti is about a genuine partnership, it follows that there should be a partnership in the teaching of it!

    Also, to add to your response to Katie's comment: I agree with your distinction. I think that prejudice against individuals in dominant groups (e.g. Pakeha, cis-male...) certainly exists. However, I would not define that as racism (or sexism...), given it is not systemic.

    "The Poisonwood Bible" deals extensively with the theme of collective guilt for colonialism & the myriad of responses to it. Let me know if you want to borrow my copy :)

    Yvette xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvette! Sorry I read your comment at the time, but somehow didn't get round to responding. Better late than never!

    I totally agree with what you've said. As Pakeha, we absolutely need to take responsibility and grapple with these issue, however painful it may be.

    The question now is what we as individuals are actually going to do about it. I'm quite excited about getting back to uni, so I can try to start standing up to racism (etc) when I see it, which as we know there is rather in abundance at law school.

    Yes I would love to borrow the Poisonwood Bible sometime! Maybe next holidays :)

    x

    ReplyDelete